random_image1.jpg

Cambridge, Ontario

During the 1850’s, three congregations of the Methodist persuasion worshipped in Galt. The Primitive Methodists met on Ainslie Street, while the Welseyan Methodists began meeting in homes in 1854, later moving to North Street (now Thorn Street). The New Connection Methodists had built their first church in 1840 on south Water Street through the efforts of Isaac Sower, who came from Pennsylvania. Later, they moved to a location on Dickson Street and in 1856 Rev. James McAlister was appointed as their minister.

In 1871, Rev. J.B. Clarkson came as minister to the Wesleyan Church and the following year the congregation moved into the original Knox Church building on the site now occupied by the market building. They acquired all the land now forming the market square plus the present property. All branches of Methodism in Canada merged to form the Methodist Church of Canada in 1875 and the three former congregations became the Ainslie Street Methodist Church, and settled in the Weleyan building with Rev. J.V. Smith as their minister.

Plans were drawn for the present church building, however financing was difficult as the banks refused to lend funds on the notes of members of the trustee board. Help was provided by some friends of the congregation who had better financial standing and agreed to let their names be added to the trustee board; and so a contract was let for $18,000. Also, it is a small tribute to the Ladies Aid of those days that they pledged $1,000 for the building fund. The surrounding land was sold to the city.

In the years that followed, the church grew rapidly and Ainslie Street Methodist became a great centre of evangelism where revival services were held with Crossley and Hunter, well-known ministers. It became necessary to add the balcony to the sanctuary. Young people were especially attracted to gather for the Sunday evening services.

With the union of Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches on June 10, 1925 to become the United Church of Canada, Ainslie Methodist Church was renamed Wesley United Church. Many improvements have been made to the building since then, with the construction of an addition consisting of the chapel and ladies’ parlour with a new furnace room and Ainslie Hall stage in the basement below. Then in 1959 the cornerstone was laid for the new Christian Education wing at a cost of $128,000 to provide classrooms, offices and Ballantyne Hall. The buildings testifies to the vision, courage, faith, work and fellowship of many persons and families from 1840 to the present day. Stained glass windows and other memorial gifts echo the place of former Wesley members.

Search

jesus stained glass wesley united

Beautiful Stained Glass

Conveniently Located

Nestled in the heart of downtown Cambridge, only a few steps from City Hall and the Cambridge Farmer's Market.

map wesley united cambridge ontario

About Us

Wesley is situated in the historic civic square in downtown Galt, adjacent to the Cambridge Farmer’s Market, the historic City Hall, and the new City Administration building.
Wesley is part of the United Church of Canada, the largest Protestant denomination in our country. The United Church of Canada prides itself on welcoming everyone the way Jesus did, regardless of age, race, class, gender, orientation, or physical ability.

Read More

  

Wesley United Church

6 Cambridge St.
Cambridge, ON
N1R 3R6

Office Hours
Tuesday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

Phone

519-621-6060

Sunday Services

Beginning at 10:30am

United Church of Canada

united church of canada logo